Monday, February 16, 2009

A Bit of Frustration

Some of you know I do a bit of websiting on the side. I'll admit, I'm not great. I know very little about site design and I am trying to learn it as a side thing (more of like an addicting hobby when I get the chance). Anyways, for quite some time I have been stumped by the problem of switching out SWF files. After searching for hours (literally) I finally found what I thought to be the code I needed. After another hour of messing around with the code, I got it to work...yet, it only worked on IE. Sad. I then was wondering why the SWF files weren't swapping in Firefox or Chrome (I sort of gave up on Safari as I'm not a Mac fan). Still, I was determined to find out what was the difference.

After reading up on how Javascripts work, I did notice that if I used Alert(), I could "see" what was passing through in the functions. Turns out there were very little differences, but then what was really weird was that I could actually see the SWF file I wanted to appear in the spot it should have. Then when I clicked "Ok" on the Alert the entire SWF disappeared from sight. In both Chrome and Firefox the same thing happened. I was wondering why only IE worked fine.

After a few hours of testing I decided to hit the ISYS list. I usually don't resort to such measure, but I figured I should anyhow. The first response was useful as I was using .innerHTML and learned that I shouldn't be using that. Instead I was told to use the DOM methods. So, I did. Yet, the same results occured. The other responses thus far were sort of humerous as a few were telling me how aweful my site looked (true, it doesn't look great, but that wasn't my question).

Well, now it's day two and I still haven't gotten anywhere. Thus, I am writing this blog about my frustration. The link below is a demo of what I am trying to accomplish (but, again, it only works for IE).

http://potentialelectricllc.com/c.htm

1 comment: