Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thoughts on Omniture University

Currently, I'm working with my partner Bryan on the Web Analystics Competition. Our team is known as Viridis Callidus (which is the Latin words for "Green" and "Clever"). So, hopefully the judges will think we are representing Omniture's favorite color of green and displaying that we have the clever skills that web analytics requires). Okay, perhpas that's going a bit too far, but you get the point.

Anyways, last week was Omniture University. In all honesty, I thought that it could have been better. I was a bit disappointed on how we were taught (everyone logs on and slows down the connection - thus, slowing down the learning). Also, it seemed that we could have figured out most of what the presenter said by ourselves. What I think would have been more helpful is giving us scenarios of real life questions and showing how you would find the answer to those questions. Yeah, that might be going a bit far, but I think that would have helped me. I guess I can appreciate the fact that we were given free pizza :)

Anyways, SiteCatalyst seems to be a very powerful Web Analytics tool. In comparison to Google Analytics, there's definetely a lot more you can do. I was pretty amazed at the different types of data that you can see. The only downside I do see is that since there is so much you can do with SiteCatalyst, there are times where it does take time to find the data you want.

At this point Bryan and I hope to at least make a good run at the competition. We have planned out a strategy and we hope to carry it out. For now, it seems that we have quite a bit of work to do within the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment