Sunday, January 11, 2009

Replaced!

Since the beginning of January 2008 I had a calling in the ward as the director of name indexing. For those of you who are not familiar with name indexing it's where you get an old document (e.g. census document, death certificate, marriage certificate...etc) and digitize the information. Once that information is digitized it can be used for a great deal of things. Not to mention searching for names from past documents becomes a whole lot easier. For more information please go to the site: http://www.familysearchindexing.org/.

Well, at first, I thought this was going to be a boring, but easy calling. I was wrong on both accounts. After I learned how to do name indexing I had to teach others how to do it as well. Also, I learned that many others who were unfamiliar with indexing were at first very unmotivated to begin indexing. Because of that I had to organize activities to either train more people and/or help others get motivated in the cause. In the end, our ward was able to index about 39,787 names. Regardless of the outcome, I personally enjoyed indexing.

Now that the new year has begun, I am finally replaced. It's funny. Just when I finally make a CD with a Camtasia Studio video on how to index names, I get replaced. Oh well. At least people can still be virtually trained by me ;) At any rate I did have a lot of fun doing name indexing and it will be something I probably will continue to do even though I no longer am doing it as a calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment