Friday, January 30, 2009

Never live with Freshmen!

This story is not for the faint of heart. Yet, if you are in the mood to read something totally unbelievable, I suppose you can read on. I think the title speaks for itself. Well, I know I was a freshman once, but I knew my place then and lived with other “freshies” in the dorms. At least if I had done anything really stupid, it was where it was acceptable. However, I think back then I mainly did pranks (e.g. getting my roommate to delete all his illegal music by pretending to be the RIAA ). Currently, I live with one freshman. I will call him “Brian” since that’s his name. Anyways, Brian is also a return missionary. So, I figured he might know better… Not quite.

Let me give you a quick background about him. He has a limited perspective on many issues, freeloads off everyone and anyone he can, and doesn’t really know how clean (funny thing is he works as a custodian). Okay, that sounds a bit harsh, and you might be thinking I’m being a bit too hard on the poor chap, but I give my honest opinion on the way things are. Now, I’m not saying all freshmen are like this, but I would have to say, a lot his characteristics reflect the typical freshman.

Anyhow, I am a senior at BYU. I thought I’ve seen it all (at least “all” in a college perspective). Like any semester I’m rather busy. Some nights I come home around 9:30 or later. So, it was one of those nights and I came home late. I come to a semi-messy apartment. I already felt that it was not a great way to end the day. Yet, there was something odd about the mess. There was paper towels clumped together, all over the kitchen. All of them were soaking wet. Then I was confronted by a horrible smell. I was like, what in the world could make such a horrible smell? I then found the entire hallway upstairs soaked in water and about 4 of the steps of the stairway were soaking wet as well. Apparently the toilet overflowed…sad day.

After cleaning some of the mess, Brian comes home. I thought he was getting more cleaning supplies or something…nope. He was at a soccer game. Now, when the apartment is a mess (like a real mess) and leaving it messy makes things worse (especially with water), you should continue to clean it up until it’s done. Not only have the paper towels been sitting there, but there was still a lot to clean. Also, I still was wondering what actually happened. He told me that the toilet started to overflow and that he tried to stop it. Funny thing is, there is a plunger by the toilet, and the toilet is like any other. I asked him if he even tried to turn off the water. He said he did not know there was an off switch and was working on it for 45 minutes (thus, the water damage). Wow…now I’ve seen it all. A 20 year old that doesn’t know how to turn off the water. I think about this point I went to my room in disbelief. It was sad.

Well, he did continue to clean, so I left him to finish since I had a project due the next day. As I’m working on the project I hear a spraying noise outside my door. I then find Brian spray floor cleaner in the air. I then asked him what he was doing. Brian replies, “Getting the smell out.” As I suspected the floor cleaner had bleach. I then told him to stop spraying and if he knew that it had bleach. He said he did… Still, I don’t know about you, but I don’t enjoy breathing in bleach. Who know? Perhaps Brian thought he could magically rid the smell with floor cleaner and give all of our lungs a good “clean” burn.

As I reflect upon the incident, I still can’t believe what had happened. It’s been about two days since the incident and the carpet is still went and smells. I don’t think the smell will ever leave. Well, I guess I can say it could have been worse. However, it proves my point. Never live with freshmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment