Monday, June 8, 2009

Mixed Feelings on Going from Blue to Red

During this year I have been trying to get into graduate school. Around the 20th of May I received a rejection letter from BYU saying that I was not admitted for the MISM program. It was sort of depressing knowing that I wouldn't return to my Alma Mater. No more BYU... So, my chapter at BYU finally comes to a close.

However, on the flip side, on the 29th of May I received an acceptance email from the University of Utah for their MSIS program. I consider myself rather lucky since I heard they were only accepting around 15 students and there were 3 spos left by the time I had applied (at least that's what I was told). While I am excited I am going to graduate school, I am a bit sad of some changes. Examples of a few things are tuition will be a lot higher, I have a slim chance of being a TA again, and they won't accept my graduate credits from BYU (funny thing is they assured me it wasn't a "rivalry thing" for denying me transfer credit). Even so, there are some positives to this new program. Since the program is rather new, I will be contributing to a new program. Another good thing is it'll be good to have a change of campus. While I won't be too familiar with the U, it's probably for the best that I'm going to have some new surrounding.

So, now that I have had my undergraduate from BYU and I'll have my graduate from Utah...what does this make me? A traitor to BYU? A spy for BYU? A mixed-breed of the two colleges? I suppose only time will tell. For now, I'll keep a low profile and see where the chips fall. This will be an interesting year for me.

2 comments:

  1. I happened on this by chance, searching for info on the U of U msis program. I am in the same boat as you. I was accepted to the U of U MSIS program. It will be good to have a familiar face there. I know what you mean about feeling conflicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, By the way that last post was from http://www.facebook.com/schulthies

    ReplyDelete